Knowing how to install a VPN on your Firestick is important to protect your privacy, access more content online and avoid ISP throttling.
This Amazon Fire TV VPN setup guide will show you how to install a VPN on your Firestick or Amazon Fire TV, set it up and make sure you’re protected online.
If you want an Amazon Fire Stick, you can buy one from Amazon by clicking here.
Please note: This tutorial won’t work on the 1st Generation Amazon Fire TV Stick. However, it should work on other Fire TV devices including the Fire TV and 2nd Generation Fire TV Stick.
What is a VPN?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network encrypts your internet traffic between your Amazon Fire TV stick/Fire TV and the VPN server, keeping your traffic private and shielding it from prying eyes.
A quality VPN service:
- Protects your privacy online by hiding your IP address
- Stops ISP throttling and tracking by masking internet traffic
- Lets you access larger worldwide content libraries on services like Netflix by bypassing geoblocks
For more information on buying a VPN service, check out my VPN buying guide.
Before We Start: Sign up for a Quality VPN Service
Before we get started, you’ll first need to sign up for a quality VPN service if you haven’t already got one.
What’s the Best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick?
After a lot of testing, I believe IPVanish is the best VPN for the Fire Stick due to the following:
- Excellent speeds
- Zero log policy
- Dedicated Fire TV app (as well as apps on other platforms)
- Protection of up to 5 devices simultaneously
They’re the best VPN for Amazon Fire TV and protection starts at only $6.49 per month with a 7-day money back guarantee. You can sign up for IPVanish by clicking here.
After signing up, you’ll be sent your username and password. Keep these somewhere safe as you’ll need them later.
Now that you’re signed up for a VPN, we can install the IPVanish VPN client on your Fire Stick.
How to Install a VPN on a Firestick without Root
Installing a VPN on the Fire Stick is simple. The main steps are:
- Power up your Amazon Fire TV device
- Install the VPN Client by either downloading it from the Amazon App Store or sideloading the APK
- Set Up the VPN on the Firestick
Step 1: Install the VPN Client
There’s a few ways to install a VPN on a Firestick without root:
- Install the IPVanish Fire TV app from the Amazon App Store
- Sideload the VPN APK
If you’ve decided to sign up for IPVanish, installing a VPN for the Firestick is easy thanks to their dedicated Fire TV VPN app which is available from the Amazon App Store.
Option 1: Install the IPVanish Fire TV app from the Amazon App Store (Easiest)
If you listened to my advice and got the best VPN for the Amazon Fire stick, installing a VPN on your Firestick is incredibly easy thanks to IPVanish’s recently released Fire TV app.
This makes it incredibly easy to set up a VPN for the Firestick as we don’t have to sideload the VPN app.
- Search for “IPVanish” on your Amazon Fire TV stick using the Amazon App store. You can do this by going to “Apps” and clicking the magnifying glass.
- The IPVanish app will appear under “Apps & Games”. Click on the tile to open the apps page
- Click Get to download and install the IPVanish VPN client on your Firestick (I’ve previously downloaded the app so it says Download on my device).
- You can now jump to the “Setting up a VPN on the Firestick” section.
Option 2: Install the IPVanish Android app by Sideloading (Harder)
Step 1: Allow installation from Unknown Sources on your Fire TV stick or Fire TV box
First, we’ll need to enable installation of apps from unknown sources so we can sideload the VPN client. This lets us install apps from outside of the Amazon App Store.
To do this, go into Settings > Device > Developer Options and turn Apps from Unknown Sources on.
Step 2: Install the VPN Client on your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Box using Downloader
With installation from Unknown sources turned on, we can now install the VPN client on your Firestick:
- Search and install Downloader from the Amazon app store. Downloader lets you download files directly to your Firestick (such as the IPVanish VPN client).
- Open Downloader and enter the following URL which links to the IPVanish Android APK: “https://ipv.bz/2rjO4fi“
- Click Download and Downloader will download the IPVanish Android app to your Amazon Fire TV stick.
- When the download is finished, it’ll prompt you to install the app. Click Install to install the VPN client.
Step 2: Set Up the VPN on the Firestick
Configuring your VPN app is straightforward. I’m using the IPVanish Fire TV app, however, other VPN clients should be similar.
When you first open the IPVanish app, enter your username and password you got when you signed up and click “Login”.
Clicking Connect will connect you to the IPVanish VPN using the default settings. The IPVanish VPN client will automatically connect your to the best available city and server for your selected country.
Note: You might get a popup saying that IPVanish wants to set up a VPN connection. If it pops up, just click OK to allow the app to set up your VPN connection and get you protected.
You can also access the advanced settings by clicking the Gear icon in the top left of the screen. Here you can change a number of settings including launching the VPN whenever the Fire TV Stick is turned on to make sure you’re always protected.
If you’re wanting to switch servers (for example, if you’re wanting to change countries), first disconnect from the VPN by clicking the “Disconnect” button.
Once disconnected, change to your desired country on the set up screen and click “Connect” again.
How to tell if the VPN is Working
You’re probably wondering how to check if your VPN is working.
The easiest way to make sure your correctly connected to the VPN is checking if your IP address changes when connected.
To make sure the VPN is working:
- Before you connect to the VPN, go to What’s My IP? on your Amazon Firestick and write down the IP Address shown here. This is your public IP address that’s exposed when you’re online.
- Now connect to the VPN and refresh the What’s My IP? page. If your VPN is working, your IP address and location should have changed to match the VPN server you’re connected to.
How to Install a VPN on a Firestick: Conclusion
Keeping yourself safe online is crucial and a high quality VPN like IPVanish is a perfect way to stay safe when online.
Now that you know how to setup a VPN on your Fire TV stick or Android TV box, you’ll be able to enjoy streaming movies, bypass geoblocks and more with peace of mind.
How was your VPN setup process? Did you have any issues? Let me know in the comments!