If you’re wanting to know how to update Kodi, you’ve come to the right place! This detailed, step-by-step guide shows you how to update to Kodi 17.6 on your Firestick, Android TV box and Windows devices easily and safely.
Keeping software up to date is a fact of life. With bug fixes, security patches and new features, ensuring you have the latest version is important. Updating Kodi is no different.
With Team Kodi regularly releasing new versions of their media software, it’s important you know how to upgrade Kodi to the latest version and make sure you get the best possible experience.
At the time of writing, the latest version of Kodi is Kodi 17.6 Krypton.
If you're planning on streaming movies and TV shows with Kodi, protect yourself with a VPN.Why do you need a VPN for Kodi?
- Anonymous online streaming
- Bypass geo-blocks and access ALL Kodi add-ons
- Prevent ISP throttling and tracking
- Hide Your IP Address
Protect your privacy and security when using Kodi. Subscribe to the highly recommended IPVanish VPN now (save up to 46% with this link) to stay safe and private or check out our Best VPN for Kodi guide to learn more.
Should I Update Kodi to the Latest Version?
Generally, I recommend updating Kodi to the latest version reasonably quickly.
This way you know that you’ve got all the latest bug fixes and features available.
That said, I’d often recommend waiting a few days for the early adopters (like me!) to install new versions and report on any errors they encounter. If there’s no major issues reported, you should be safe to upgrade Kodi without issues.
How to Update Kodi on Windows
There are two ways to update Kodi on Windows depending on how you installed it.
1. How to update Kodi using the Installer
If you installed Kodi on Windows using the standard Kodi installer, there’s no automatic updater to keep Kodi up to date. Instead, you’ll need to manually update Kodi using the installer:
- Download the Kodi 17.6 Installer from the Downloads page
- Double-click the installer and do a Typical install (unless you’ve previously completed a custom install). Kodi will warn you it detected an earlier version. Accept the prompt to continue updating Kodi
Congratulations, you’ve just updated to the latest version of Kodi.
If you’re updating to a new major version (such as updating Kodi 16 to 17), Kodi may need to do a database update on the first run to keep everything running smoothly. It should only take a minute or so.
2. How to update Kodi using the Windows Store
If you installed Kodi using the Windows 10 Store, you shouldn’t need to manually update Kodi as the Windows 10 App Store supports automatic updates.
As soon as a new update is available, Windows will automatically download and install the latest version of Kodi so you’ll always have the latest version installed. This is why I usually recommend installing Kodi this way on Windows 10.
How to Update Kodi on Android Boxes (and Other Android Devices)
Before we start, please note that Kodi 17 Krypton requires Android 5.0 and above.
If your Android box cannot be updated to Android 5.0 or above, I’d recommend upgrading your Android TV box as there’s a number of new features in Kodi 17 that make the update worth it. See my picks for the Best Android TV box for some suggestions.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, updating Kodi on Android can be done in a few different ways. I’ll cover both below.
How to Update Kodi using the Google Play Store
Most users will have installed Kodi using the Google Play store which makes keeping Kodi updated super easy.
The Google Play Store features Automatic updates. This means that the Google Play Store will automatically download and update Kodi for you as long as it’s enabled.
Automatic updates should be enabled by default. However, if you need to enable Automatic updates, do the following:
- Search for Kodi on the Google Play Store
- Click the three dots in the top-right corner and enable “Auto-update”.
Automatic updates are now enabled for Kodi on your Android TV box
If automatic updates aren’t working or you want to manually update Kodi on the Google Play store:
- Open the Google Play store on your Android TV box
- Search for Kodi and open the app’s page
- Click “Update” to download and install the latest version of the Kodi app
How to Update Kodi by Sideloading
Sideloading is the process of installing the Kodi app (or any other app) manually, without using the Google Play Store.
If you originally installed Kodi by sideloading the Kodi app, you may need to update Kodi through sideloading:
- Enable app installs from unknown sources by going to Settings>Security and enable “Unknown Sources”
- Download the latest Kodi app for Android from the Downloads page. Most users will want the ARMv7A (32bit) file though newer devices may be compatible with the 64-bit version. Those with Intel-based Android devices should opt for the X86 installer.
- Open the APK file you downloaded using your Android TV box’s file manager
- Select Install to update Kodi to the latest version
How to Update Kodi on the Firestick
Amazon’s own Android streaming device doesn’t support the Google Play store which complicates updating Kodi on the Fire TV stick.
In order to update Kodi on the Fire TV stick, we’ll need to sideload the Kodi app using a similar process as we did for Android TV boxes.
Before we get started, allow installing apps from Unknown sources by going into Settings > Device > Developer Options and enabling “Apps from Unknown Sources”. This will let you install Android apps not provided by Amazon’s app store.
- Search and install Downloader from the Amazon app store. This app lets us download the Kodi app on to your Fire TV stick and install it.
- Open Downloader and enter the following URL:
- Wait for it to complete. When done, it’ll prompt you to install the Kodi app. Accept the prompts and Kodi will be updated.
Congratulations! You’ve just updated Kodi successfully.
How to Update Kodi: Conclusion
Keeping your software up to date is important to make sure you have the latest features and bug fixes.
Now that you know how to update Kodi on your Android TV box, Windows PC and Fire TV stick, all you need to do is kick back and relax!
Have you updated Kodi recently? Did you have any issues? Let me know in the comments!