Android Media boxes with excellent XBMC support, and, to be honest, great after-sales firmware support are few and far between. However, this could be changing soon.
Information was released today that the developers over at Freaktab have been collaborating to release their own hardware known as the Freakbox and presale has begun.
For those unfamiliar with the Freaktab community, they are a group of developers dedicated to Android devices and have extensive discussions on many of the more obscure devices from China. Chances are that if you have ever installed a custom ROM on your Chinese device, it came from there.
The Freakbox is powered by a Rockchip RK3188 quad core chipset with Mali-400 graphics.
The specifications provided on the project’s Facebook Page are as follows:
- CPU RK3188 Quad Core 1.6GHz (Cortex-A9)
- GPU Quad Core Mali-400 GPU @533MHz
- Ram DDR3 2GB
- Rom On board NAND Flash 8G / 16G
- Expand Micro SD SD Card (Maximum support 32GB)
- Video Format MPEG-1/ MPEG-2/ MPEG-4/ H.263/ H.264/ AVS/ VC-1/ RV8/ RV9/ RV10 / VP6/ VP8 / Sorenson Spark/ MVC [email protected] (1920×1080)
- Audio Format Support：MP3/WMA/APE/FLAC/AAC/OGG/AC3/WAV
- Picture Format Support：Max.8000×8000 JPEG BMP GIF PNG
- Ethernet 10/100M LAN
- WIFI Support IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth Support Bluetooth V4.0
- Antenna WIFI built-in antenna
- 3G Support for external 3G DONGLE
- IR Sensor 1*IR
- Power LED 1*Blue power led
- Button & Ports 1*Power Button
- 1*Update Button(via one pin hole)
- 3* Standard USB
- 1*Micro USB with OTG
- 1*DC in Jack
- 1*HDMI A Type
- 1*SPDIF (2CH, 5.1CH)
- 1*SD card slot
- Adapter 5V 2A power supply
- O.S Google Android 4.4, support OTA function
- Language Multi-language
- Keyboard Qwerty keyboard
- Dimension 128.8mm * 128.8mm * 21.8 mm
- Weight 225g
- Working environment 5°C–35°C，30%–90% Humidity
- Storage environment -20°C–60°C，10%–90% Humidity
Despite the specifications not being significantly different from other RK3188 devices on the market already, it will be the developer support that will be the real differentiator here.
Photo Credit: Freakbox Facebook Page