Android TV box manufacturer Ugoos has just released their long awaited Android 5.1 firmware for their excellent UT3, UM3 and UT3S Android TV boxes powered by the (still) powerful Rockchip RK3288 SoC. You can read my review of the UGOOS UT3S here.
I believe this makes UGOOS the first to have released a stable Android 5.1 firmware for Rockchip RK3288 devices which is a massive milestone in and of itself.
The changelog is pretty comprehensive and brings a whole host of new features and bug fixes to the supported devices:
- IPTVLauncher was replased by Ugoos Launcher
- Added Chinese and Russian localization in Settings
- Now firmware has only one partition
- Added Multiuser support
- Updated Multiwindow mode
- Included Wifi optimization
- Added support Fireasy app
- Added samba server
- Fixed bug with button “Dismiss all” in “Recent Apps” window
- Added support Google Widevine DRM
- Fixed bug with wrong colors in some apps (black background in ES File Explorer)
- Added ability to select usb sound card in Sound Device manager
- Added usb 3G Modems support
As the firmware update changes the partitions, you’ll need to flash the firmware via Rockchip’s flash tool so make sure you back up everything before the update. The process is pretty straightforward using UGOOS’ instructions.
UGOOS has advised that future updates will be delivered via OTA as before.
There’s some pretty big changes here, particularly with the new UGOOS launcher, multi-user support and enabling of Google Widevine DRM.
I’ve already flashed my UT3S with the new Android 5.1 firmware and it’s looking promising. The new launcher looks great and everything feels pretty stable after several hours of gaming and web browsing. Keep posted for my full review
Grab the new firmware from the links in the UGOOS Blog post.
Are you going to install UGOOS new firmware? Let us know in the comments below