Team Kodi have released the first Alpha version of Kodi 18 Leia, the latest version of Kodi, and it’s available to download now.
I’ve downloaded and installed it and found it to be a good upgrade, though I wouldn’t recommend it for most users as it’s still a little rough around the edges. That’s not exactly surprising given how early it is in development.
What is Alpha software?
Software typically undergoes several releases before reaching a final version, known as the software release life cycle.
Alpha releases are the first release of the software. They are typically very early versions that might be unstable, may have missing features and include bugs or other issues.
As such, Kodi 18.0 Alpha 1 will likely work fine for most users but there will be more bugs and crashes compared to a final Kodi release.
When will Kodi 18 be released?
Team Kodi haven’t set an official release date for Kodi 18.0 Leia, with the team saying:
Currently we don’t really have a set time however it should at least be somewhere this year so. There’s still enough room left for improvements however we could change our minds at any point in time and just call it ready enough to start the release cycle. In short we can’t say or promise anything.
I’d recommend subscribing to our newsletter for updates so you know as soon as its released.
Kodi 18 Features
Kodi 18 Leia is a major release of Kodi, featuring plenty of new features rather than just bug fixes that we usually see in a standard point release like Kodi 17.6:
- A revamped music library
- An improved Live TV experience
- Support for both 64-bit Windows and the Xbox One
- Android TV launcher integration for a slicker user experience
- Retroplay which adds game integration into Kodi for the first time such as emulators and more
- An improved video player with support for up to 8K resolution and new codecs as they’re made available
- Support for DRM content which opens the door for DRM-protected services like Netflix
Should I Install Kodi 18 Alpha 1?
Alpha software is pretty rough around the edges and Kodi 18 Leia Alpha 1 is no different.
Whilst I haven’t encountered any major issues during my testing, I haven’t used with every add-on so your mileage may vary.
That said, if you’re wanting to play with some of the new Kodi 18 features, I’d recommend installing it on a secondary media player to avoid messing up your current Kodi install.
Where can I download Kodi 18 Leia Alpha 1?
Downloading the new Kodi alpha is easy:
- Go to the Kodi Downloads page.
- Scroll down and click on your platform e.g. Windows
- Click on the Development Builds tab
- Click on the blue Installer button to download the Kodi installer or APK (depending on your platform of choice)
How to Install Kodi 18 Leia
To install Kodi 18 Leia, follow our simple-to-follow guide on how to install Kodi, including installing it on a Firestick.
How to Update to Kodi 18 Leia
If you’re running Kodi 17.6 or an earlier version, read our step-by-step guide to learn how to update to Kodi 18 on Android TV boxes, Firesticks and Windows-based HTPCs.
Have you installed the latest Kodi alpha? What’s been your experience so far? Let me know in the comments!